Breastfeeding is when you feed your baby breast milk, usually directly from your breast. It is the best gift that a mother can give to her baby. Breastfeeding builds physical & emotional bonding between mother & baby. It defines to protect, promote and helps the health of both the mother & the baby.
Benefits of Breast Milk
Breast milk provides the ideal nutrition for infants for normal growth and development, in good proportion and in a form that is easily digested and absorbed. Breast milk also contains important antibodies.
- Lactose is in a high concentration (6-7 g/dl)
- Galactose is vital for ideal mental health in developing babies.
- Lactose helps in absorption of Calcium
- Lactose upgrades the development of lactobacilli in the digestive system
- Rich in polyunsaturated unsaturated fats essential for myelination of the nervous system.
- Contain omega-3 (long-chain unsaturated fats). Docosahexaenoic acid (DHA) provides the right substances for manufacturing myelin, the fatty sheath that surrounds nerve fibers.
- Lipids present in human milk includes-EPA, prostaglandin precursor, fat-soluble vitamins, steroids & phospholipids.
- The protein is mostly whey protein (60%) rich in Lactalbumin and Lactoferrin& the rest is casein (40%) which are easily digestible.
- Lactalbumin is rich in tryptophan, the precursor of serotonin that plays an important role as a neurotransmitter.
- Lactoferrin guarantees assimilation of iron and zinc, and it is bacteriostatic also.
- Peroxidases, lipid lipases, bile salt invigorated lipase (BSSL)kills the organisms by working with fat ingestion and hydrolyze bacterial lipids.
- The Bifidus factor and acidic pH related with human milk prompt colonization by Lactobacillus.
- Lactobacilli and lactic corrosive that aides in absorption are called probiotic substances
Breast Milk is protected, non-hypersensitive contains – immunoglobulins, secretory parts and secretory IgA. Additionally, Plasma cells, polymorphs, lysosomes, lactoperoxidase, development factors, and so on. Serum IgA gives surface security to the respiratory &Gl parcels. S IgA opposes proteolytic debasement in the neonatal gut and offers insurance.
So as per research, Breast milk contains cell components, for example, macrophages (up to 80%) lymphocytes (T and B), which are an essential protection against contamination and supply T and B lymphocytes.
Nutrients in human milk are a decent wellspring of nutrients except nutrients K and D. Minerals in breast milk like iron, zinc, etc., are small quantities. Still, the bioavailability is much better because of carrier proteins, and Osmolality is low – decreased solute load on the kidney.
Initiation of Breastfeeding:
As ahead of schedule as conceivable bosom taking care of must be started in both ordinary and LSCS conveyance inside one hour of life. After birth-child is naturally prepared and the inception is simple, Later on, the child goes to delayed rest, and thus it’s troublesome. Recurrence 2-3 hourly/request taking care of. Term – elite bosom taking care of for a half year.
Time for each feed: 15-20 minutes.
Exclusive Breast Feeding:
No pre-lacteal feeds.
No conventional feeds.
No extra liquids.