Male factor accounts to about 40% of infertility.
Failure to conceive within one or more years of regular unprotected coitus during fertile period is infertility.
Primary: Never conceived.
Secondary: Achieved pregnancy once but thereafter cannot conceive within one or more years of regular unprotected intercourse during fertile period.
MALE ANATOMY AND FUNCTIONS
- Seminiferous tubules—Spermatogenesis
- Cells of Leydig—Testosterone production
Seminal vesicles—Produces viscous, alkaline fluid rich in fructose
- Epididymis—Maturation of sperm and transport
- Vas deferens—Sperm storage and acidification (decrease motility)
- Urethra —Terminal portion of the seminal fluid passage (ejaculation).
- Ejaculatory duct—Convergence of vas and seminal vesicles (to urethra)
Female factor accounts to about 40% of infertility.